|First Lieutenant Tsurumi will scold me!
This article is outdated, poorly written or lacks important information. It should be reworked!
Kazuo Henmi (辺見 和雄, Henmi Kazuo) was a serial killer and one of the Abashiri Convicts.
Henmi is a short man with black hair stuck to right and eyes of the same color, with thick eyebrows. He had a normal build with the tattoo around the torso and a "Kanji" on the nipple straight. After leaving the prison he is seen wearing a dark blue kimono over a military collared shirt, pants in a lighter shade, socks to the cinnamon, an orange scarf on the neck and a cloth tied on the head.
Henmi used his mannered and sociable characteristics to approach his victims. According to prison guards, killing is as natural to him as breathing. His desire to kill and be killed surged when he witnessed the brutal death of his little brother. Since then, the very thought of suffering the same fate has gotten him sexually aroused.
Upon meeting Sugimoto and hearing his story about how he killed out of necessity and that in the end he would not have a quiet and gentle death, his desire to be killed increased, and he decided to try to kill him. Just like his brother, he wanted to fight until hope erased in his eyes, and as such, "shine" to the very end.
Henmi was born in Shimotsuke province, modern day Tochigi prefecture.
When he was young, he saw his younger brother getting eaten alive by a boar, in the bamboo groove behind their house.
While in Abashiri Prison, Henmi became cellmates with Tetsuzou Nihei and Yoshitake Shiraishi. He listens to Shiraishi asking Nihei if he's heard of Sister Miyazawa which he denies. As Shiraishi pulls out the picture of the sister and stares at it, Henmi creeps up on him and mistakenly thinks that he is fantasizing about his own execution and that he completely understands. One day, as the three along with Gotou were being escorted by a guard on a walk through the prison grounds, Shiraishi spots Sister Miyazawa and begins to chase after her. When the guard tries to stop him, Henmi tackles him, much to Shiraishi's appreciation.
- Henmi liked strawberries but disliked spicy food as it gave him terrible indigestion.
- He may be based on Andrei Chikatilo, a Ukranian serial killer whose brother was kidnapped and consumed by starving neighbors during the Holodomor. He may also be based on Albert Fish, a sadomasochistic serial killer who tortured both his victims and himself.
- Henmi's appearance used to be different in early versions of the manga. In the magazines, he didn't wear a bandana, nor had his cleft chin or defined eyebrows; his forehead also lacked wrinkles.
- In 2018 Golden Kamuy All-Stars popularity poll Henmi ranked 14th, gaining 2 942 votes. 
- Henmi was shorter than Tsukishima, same height as Inkarmat and Anehata, and taller than Nagakura and Ienaga.
- Henmi was lighter than Nagakura and heavier than Anehata.
- Henmi was older than Tsurumi and younger than Ushiyama. 
- His shining erection is a reference to the music video Danger! High Voltage by the band Electric Six.
- Satoru Noda uses Henmi's image as his author avatar on many occasions, be it for his own blog or illustrating stories for the fanbook.
|Warden||Shirosuke Inudou †|
|Staff||Toshiyuki Kadokura ☓ • Tokishige Usami ☓|
|Convicts||Anji Toni † • Fusatarou Oosawa † • Heita Matsuda † • Kanjirou Kasahara † • Kano Ienaga † • Kazuo Henmi † • Keiichirou Sakamoto † • Keiji Ueji † • Kiichirou Wakayama † • Kiyohiro Suzukawa † • Maiharu Gansoku • Michael Ostrog † • Mutsuo Tsuyama † • Noppera-Bou † • Shiton Anehata † • Soroku Funabashi † • Takechiyo Gotou † • Tatsuma Ushiyama • Tetsuo Takarai † • Tetsuzou Nihei † • Toshizou Hijikata • Waichirou Sekiya † • Yoshitake Shiraishi • Youichirou †|